Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri is a perennial creeping plant. It falls in the category of herb owing to the multiple medicinal uses it has. Also famous by the name of water hyssop is found in the wetlands of southern and eastern India and are also found in parts of Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, and North and South America. It finds great significance in Ayurveda medicine and many other alternative medicine forms all over the world. This creeper plant has a number of health benefits and is full of nutritious alkaloids and triterpene saponins that aids your cognitive abilities. At the same time Brahmi benefits of hair are innumerable and it revitalizes your hair. The amazing benefits of this herb are as follows:
- It can control anxiety: if you are prone to anxiety and panic attacks then it is suggested that you inculcate Brahmi in your daily diet. You can eat Brahmi leaves, dried and mixed into a powder. Also, you can drink Brahmi juice daily for 1-2 months or take Brahmi supplements which are very easily available in the market. Daily consumption will allow you to deal with your anxiety attacks and also helps reduce anxiety, palpitations, nervousness, insomnia, tiredness, headache and stress. It soothes your mind and at the same time calms your nerves.
- It can make your hair lustrous: Brahmi benefits your hair hugely and promotes hair growth. Regular applying Brahmi oil also helps you avoid itchiness, flakiness and dandruff and promotes the overall health of your hair. You can also inculcate Brahmi leaves in your home hair packs and rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Drinking Brahmi juice everyday also boosts the health of your hair. It reduces hair fall and covers the hair with a protective layer which makes your hair glossy and adds a sheen to it. Brahmi re-boosts your hair growth and also aid you in dealing with hair problems like dandruff and flakiness.
- Sharpens your brain: It is often referred to as a ‘brain-rejuvenating’ plant. It is celebrated as a memory booster from time immemorial. In Ayurveda medicine, Brahmi extract and supplements are recommended for kids aged between 6 to 8 as they help greatly is increasing focus and attention among them. Consumption of Brahmi improves hand-eye coordination in kids and makes them more aware of their actions and surroundings by making the brain more alert. They stimulate the brain which promotes sharper thinking, memory and learning abilities. It is also suggested that people suffering from Alzheimer’s and seizures consume Brahmi.
- Controls blood sugar and asthma: Brahmi can be considered as an all-rounder plant and owing to the presence of antihyperglycemic properties in it, it is a great helper to diabetic patients. Consumption of Brahmi leaves allows diabetic patients to keep their blood sugar levelled and thus lets them enjoy their life and lead a healthy life. Additionally, Brahmi acts like an elixir for people suffering from asthma. If you are dealing with respiratory problems then you can just chew a few Brahmi leaves every morning or you can also boil some in water and drink it like tea. You will notice an instant enhancement in your respiratory system and aids you in dealing with respiratory issues like colds, bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsils and congestion. It clears your throat of phlegm and mucus by acting as an expectorant.
- Does wonders for your skin: Brahmi juice can aid you in dealing with wound scars. Just apply it to your wound and the magic of Brahmi will heal your wound and also double as a disinfectant. Brahmi makes your skin soft and supple and gives it a silky touch. Brahmi aids renewal and regeneration of skin cells and improves the skin’s melanin pigment. Its anti-oxidant properties also help with treating skin problems like eczema. A lot of people are prone to acne and Brahmi can relieve you of this issue. Apply Brahmi leaves to your pimples and see a generous reduction in its size.
What are the different ways of consuming Brahmi?
Brahmi’s multi-faceted attributes know no bounds and it can be consumed in a number of ways. You can just toss the leaves in your salad and eat it like that or dry them in the sun and ground them in to a powder and sprinkle in your curries and chutneys. Boil the leaves in water and drink it like a tea. You can also make it into a paste and apply it to your hair and skin. You can make your own Brahmi juice or buy it from the market and drink it every day first thing in the morning to enhance the overall health of your body. Brahmi supplements and extracts are also readily available in the market. Brahmi is a miraculous herb but at the same time it should be consumed in moderation.