Did you overeat at the last party and now feeling constipated? Well, heartbreak, constipation and depression is something that everyone faces once in their lifetime. Out of these, only constipation is something that can be treated. Did you know that almost 20% of the population suffers from chronic constipation? Yes, you heard it right! Now, that’s quite an uncomfortable number to hear. While these people suffer from chronic constipation, some of us might over-eat, smoke or drink alcohol extremely and over-consume junk food occasionally and suffer from this frustrating condition. While the situation is uncomfortable, the instant Indian home remedy for constipation is quite easy!
Here is our list of home remedies for constipation that you can try for a smooth bowel movement.
- Baking Soda
A common kitchen ingredient, baking soda for constipation is a magical herb for you to relieve yourself of this distressing and annoying situation. It has been in use as an antacid for decades. Because of its basic properties, it neutralizes the acid in the stomach and relieves you of the symptoms of constipation. Here are the ways in which you can use baking soda as a home remedy.
- When you consume baking soda orally, it combines with the stomach acid and produces gas which causes you to burp. It is also known to pull water into your digestive system forcing abdominal contractions helping you flush out the stuck stools out of your system. You can directly consume half a tablespoon of baking soda with lukewarm water twice a day and get yourself out of this frustrating condition.
- Constipation also causes pain in your rectum as dry stools are hard to pass. Studies have shown that taking bath in water-soaked with baking soda can help in relaxing your anal sphincter and promote bowel movement. To try this method of using baking soda for constipation, add two full tablespoons of baking soda in a bathtub full of water. Soak yourself in the water for about 10-15 minutes to let it do its magic!
An ancient preparation, Triphala is a mixture of three ayurvedic herbs that are known to cleanse your digestive system and improvise bowel movement. You can use Triphala in the following ways to get rid of constipation.
- Consume half a tablespoon of Triphala powder with a glass of lukewarm water every day in the morning.
- You can take Triphala tablets as well to instantly get rid of constipation.
- If you are not a fan of consuming powder directly, you can make herbal tea with ginger, honey and Triphala and consume it twice daily.
- Milk & Ghee
Well, drinking a glass of hot milk before going to bed might just be the solution for annoying constipation. Add two tablespoons of ghee to the glass of milk and consume it before bedtime. This instant Indian home remedy for constipation will help you have a smooth bowel movement in the morning.
Well, full of antioxidants and citric acid consuming lemon extract can ignite your digestive fire and flush out toxins from your body.
- You can add lemon juice to a glass of lukewarm water and consume it every morning. Add a few drops of honey to it and you have an all cleansing and detoxifying instant drink.
- Another way to utilize lemon in your everyday diet is by adding it to your tea.
As an effective herb, ginger is known to detoxify and cleanse your digestive tract by igniting your digestive fires. Add ginger to a herbal tea and consume it every day twice and see it doing wonders for your constipated stomach.
Also Read : Ginger Home Remedies for Everyday Conditions
Okay, you must have heard many people have to consume coffee before going to relieve themselves in the morning. Well, they are not wrong. Consuming coffee in the morning can stimulate your colon and help you have a smooth bowel movement.
One of the easiest and ideal instant Indian home remedies for constipation is eating bananas every day! Eating a ripe banana is your instant and go-to solution to get rid of constipation. It is a good source of fibre that helps in cleaning your digestive system. It is also known to promote good bacteria in the stomach for easy digestion.
Apart from these above-mentioned, tried and tested remedies, some other tips that will help in keeping your digestive system clean are:
- Drink lots of water. Yes, drinking water helps in flushing out toxins from the body along with keeping your colon hydrated.
- Include fibre-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet. The insoluble fibre when eaten in bulk helps in easy digestion. You can include green leafy vegetables like spinach, methi, bathua to increase dietary fibre.
- Consuming healthy fats should be an important part of your daily diet. They keep your digestive system lubricated for an easy bowel movement. You can look at including healthy nuts like almonds, walnuts along with olive oil and avocados to fulfil the requirement of healthy fats.
- Exercise daily. Staying fit and active is what keeps your body going. Simple 15-30 minutes of daily exercise can help you relieve constipation as well. Physical movement helps in the passage of food through your digestive tract easily and quickly.