Have you been considering weight loss and are not sure about which route to take? With so many diets available in the market that promises to help you lose weight, which direction would you say? Though, before going on any kind of diet, you must consult your doctor as you decide to increase or decrease any nutrient. The diet will depend on your body composition and other related diseases if any. Studies have shown that a low carbs and high protein Indian diet plan for weight loss and muscle gain can do wonders for your body composition, weight loss and help you maintain lean muscles.
Why High Protein and Low Carbohydrates Diet?
Researchers have shown that a high protein intake diet keeps you fuller for longer decreasing hunger pangs considerably. Increased intake of protein increases the secretion of hormones that makes you feel fuller and reduces hunger causing hormones like ghrelin. Meals comprising 25 to 81% calories coming from proteins can reduce the hunger pangs considerably.
High protein Indian diet plan also promotes the secretion of hormones like glucagon, produced by the pancreas that promotes fullness.
When the amount of glucose is reduced in your diet, the liver produced ketones which are essential in suppressing diet and reducing weight.
Read Also: 7-Day Indian Diet Chart for Weight Loss at Home
A four-week study done on obese men showed that they reduce more weight when kept on a high protein and low cab diet (35% and 4% respectively) rather than a moderate carbohydrates diet (35% each).
When you lose weight, you also lose muscle mass. Studies have shown that higher muscle mass leads to higher calorie burn as you sleep. Lower muscle mass lowers your metabolism as well. Thus, increasing protein in your diet can help you maintain muscle mass boosting your metabolism.
Other potential benefits of low carbohydrates and high protein diet for weight loss are:
- Regulates Sugar: Increasing protein and decreasing carbohydrates in your diet are associated with the regulation of blood sugar.
- Decreases heart risk: This kind of diet also reduces risk factors associated with triglycerides, improving heart health.
- Improves Bone Health: High protein diet is also associated with the prevention of bone loss, decreasing the risks of fracture.
Also Read: 5 Fat Loss Ayurvedic Drinks
What Not To Eat In A Low Carbohydrates Diet?
If you are planning to move to low carbs and high protein Indian diet plan for weight loss and muscle gain, here is a list of high carbohydrates food that you should avoid.
Sugar: Eradicate foods that are high on sugar from your diet like ice-cream, aerated soda and beverages, candy, cakes etc.
Refined grains like pasta, bread, wheat, rye, barley and rice.
Processed Food: If there’s anything that looks like it has been made in a factory, avoid, avoid, avoid.
Diet and low-fat foods: Many foods like cereal have added sugars but are low on fat. Make sure you check the sugar quantity before adding it to your diet.
- Starchy Vegetables and fruits: Limit the intake of starchy fruits and vegetables in your low-carb diet.
What Can You Eat In Low Carbohydrates And High Proteins Diet?
Try to plan your meals in a way where you include these foods but try not to add any added preservatives that can shoot the calorie intake.
Read Also: What is an Anti-Inflammatory Diet? Its Benefits, List of Foods and What to Expect
- Fruits: Include berries like strawberries, blueberries, apples and oranges.
- Nuts & Seeds: These are high sources of good fats and can be added as mid-day and mid-evening snacks like almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Vegetables: That are high on fibre like spinach, broccoli, methi etc are good for you. These make you fuller, add lesser calories and clean your intestinal system.
- Meat: Chicken, beef, pork.
- Fish: Salmon, trout and haddock.
- High-fat dairy products like cheese, yoghurt, butter, cream.
- Oils: Coconut, olive and butter.
Make sure that whatever you consume, eat it in moderation. It is easier to over-eat nuts, seeds and dairy. You can also include dark chocolate and wine in your diet.
Sample Menu For Low Carbohydrates, High Protein Diet
Here’s a sample of what all you can eat throughout a day:
- Breakfast: Omelette with vegetables made in butter or coconut oil
- Mid-day Snack: A cup of green tea with a few almonds
- Lunch: Yoghurt smoothie with blueberries
- Mid-evening snack: A cup of green tea
- Dinner: Griller chicken with vegetables