Most of us must have suffered from mouth ulcers at some point in our lives. These painful sores that appear on the lips, cheeks or floor of the mouth have made us go ouch many-a-times.
Most mouth ulcers take a few days or weeks to go away but using some of the ayurvedic home remedies can expedite the healing process.
What are the Causes of Mouth Ulcers?
Though there is no defined cause of sore mouth ulcers, there are certain reasons or risk factors that can trigger the painful canker sores in your mouth. Some of those include:
- Minor mouth injury caused by some dental work, accidental biting into the cheek or lips, sports injury
- Increased sensitivity to acidic foods like strawberries, oranges, pineapples or coffee
- Deficiency of vitamins like B-12, folate, iron and zinc
- Allergic reaction to fighting with the mouth bacteria
- Excessive plaque buildup
- Bacterial, fungal or viral infections
- Hormonal changes during menstruation
Ayurvedic Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
- Misri and Kapur
- Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera
- Tulsi Leaves
- Methi Daana
Known for its anti-bacterial properties, honey keeps your mouth moisturized and quickens the new tissue growth
- To get rid of mouth ulcers, apply raw honey mixed with some amla powder or turmeric on the affected area and the sore will start healing smoothly.
Mulethi is one of the ancient ayurvedic herbs used in treating mouth ulcers. If the major reason for mouth ulcer is due to stomach ailments, mulethi can do wonders!
- Mix one teaspoon powder of mulethi or licorice in a glass of water.
- Add a few drops of honey and consume the mixture to clean your stomach and to get rid of ulcers.
Triphala is an ancient preparation made from three roots – Amalaki, Bihitaki and Hirataki. This mixture is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can help you with most of the problems related to stomach.
- Mix half teaspoon of Triphala in one glass of lukewarm water.
- Use this concoction to gargle.
- Swish the liquid in your mouth for about 30 seconds two-three times.
- Repeat this process at least twice a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Misri and Kapur
Misri, or sweet rocks of sugar, is known for its cooling properties. Mixed with fennel seeds, these are used to bring freshness to your breath. Kapur or camphor is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Together, they make for a powerful home remedy for mouth ulcers.
- Take about 8-10 misri pieces and 1gm of camphor.
- Grind both of these together into a fine powder and add water to create a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area two to three times a day
It will provide relief from the inflammation and swelling caused due to sore cranks.
It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is essential in fighting bacterial infections as well.
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil to a cup of water and swish this mixture around in your mouth twice daily.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
This will help in reducing inflammation and bacteria buildup in your mouth.
Another over the kitchen counter remedy, ghee can also provide relief to the painful symptoms of mouth ulcer.
- Apply desi ghee on the mouth ulcer and leave it there for a few minutes.
- After that, spit it out and rinse your mouth with water to remove any residue that is left.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice daily to heal your mouth ulcer quickly.
The gel of Aloe Vera is known for its cooling as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
- Swish the Aloe Vera juice twice every day to fight the bacterial, fungal or viral infection that might be causing sores inside your mouth.
Basil is the most revered herb in Indian culture.
- Chew 2-3 basil leaves thoroughly to let the juices flow in your mouth.
- Drink water to swallow them.
- Repeat this twice daily to reap maximum benefits.
Fenugreek seeds are full of various medicinal benefits and work as an ayurvedic home remedy for mouth ulcers as well.
- All you have to do is boil a few fenugreek seeds in water and use it to gargle twice daily.
The Bottom Line
Though there is no defined cause of mouth ulcers, you can combine and try these home remedies for mouth ulcers to start the healing process. Most mouth ulcers are caused due to the imbalances in the stomach or intestines. To cleanse your digestive system completely, you should eat light meals and include probiotics in your meal. You can boil a few fennel seeds in milk and drink it every day before going to bed. If mouth ulcer causes severe pain, consult a doctor immediately.